Mental Health Resources
If you are in need of immediate help, please call 911.
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is: 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
The Crisis Text Line can be accessed by texting BRAVE to 741-741.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- Mental Health America (MHA)
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA)
- International Bipolar Foundation (IBF)
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP)
- Suicide Awareness Voices of Education (SAVE)
- The Jed Foundation
- Campaign to Change Direction
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Postpartum Support International (PSI)
- The Stability Network
- Addiction Center
- Homeless Shelter Directory via Tuck.com
Mood Network - When you join MoodNetwork as a research participant, you’ll be part of a nationwide study to fight mood disorders. You’ll work with doctors and researchers to help shape the direction of research. For perhaps the first time in the history of these illnesses, your experiences, your concerns, and your ideas will take center stage.
National Pregnancy Registry for Psychiatric Medications - The National Pregnancy Registry for Psychiatric Medications© is dedicated to evaluating the safety of psychiatric medications that may be taken by women during pregnancy to treat a wide range of mood, anxiety, or psychiatric disorders. The goal of this Registry is to gather information on the safety of these medications during pregnancy, as current data is limited.
National Institute of Mental Health Clinical Trials - Clinical research trials are at the heart of all medical advances.
Partner Mental Health Organizations & Initiatives
- Active Minds, Inc.
- Depressed Cake Shop
- Wear Your Label
- Tessera Collective
- Live Through This
- Broken Light Collective
- Dior Vargas - POC & Mental Illness Photo Project
- Deconstructing Stigma
- More Than My Diagnosis
Local Resources for Virginia
- Turning Point (a partnership between the Fairfax/Falls Church Community Services Board and PRS, Inc.) - a coordinated speciality care program for individuals between the ages of 16-25 experiencing their first episode of psychosis.
- DC-MD-VA (DMV) Perinatal Mental Health (PMH) Guide - a comprehensive and current regional directory of specialized mental health providers, support groups, advocacy organizations, and other relevant clinical resources pertaining to perinatal mental health. This directory will assist providers, patients, and their families with obtaining specialized mental health evaluation and treatment during pregnancy and postpartum.
- Suicide Prevention Alliance of Northern Virginia - a regional coalition of the Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax-Falls Church, Loudoun, and Prince William Community Services Boards (CSBs) and other groups in Northern Virginia, all working together to raise awareness and share resources to prevent suicide.
- Guide to Psychiatric Crisis and Civil Commitment Process in Virginia (published by NAMI Northern VA) - this short guide describe the steps you can take to help a friend or family member who is experiencing a psychiatric crisis and in need of help, primarily focusing on the civil commitment process in Virginia.
Mental Health Resources in Australia
- Canberra Mental Health Forum
- ACT Mental Health Consumer Network
- Mental Health Community Coalition ACT, Inc.
- Transforming Perceptions