We're thrilled to announce Talkspace as our 2017 Gold National Sponsor!
1. What exactly is Talkspace?
Talkspace is an online therapy platform and app that allows clients to connect with licensed psychotherapists anytime and anywhere. Each client and therapist enter a secure chat room where they can send messages in a variety of mediums, including text and video. Oren and Roni Frank founded Talkspace with the goal of removing barriers to accessing therapy and decreasing the stigma of mental illness.
2. Is Talkspace only text therapy, or do your therapists offer video sessions?
Talkspace offers unlimited texting therapy and video chats, both live and prerecorded. Clients can use one or more of these options depending on their preferences and how much they want to invest in therapy.
3. Am I automatically assigned a therapist? What if I don't like the therapist?
There are several ways clients connect with a therapist. None of them are entirely automatic.
- One of our consultation therapists chats with the client and pairs him or her with a primary therapist based on preference, fit and speciality in mental health issues.
- Clients can choose a therapist using our Quick Match system. This system asks them some questions about why they are coming to therapy and then uses that data to generate therapist suggestions.
- Some of our clients rave about a specific therapist and then refer people they know to that therapist. They do this informally or using a referral that saves both them and the new client money on their Talkspace subscription.
- Clients request a specific therapist because they encounter him or her via our marketing.
If clients don't like their therapist, they can switch at any time and at no extra cost.
4. How affordable is Talkspace compared to traditional therapy?
The average cost of traditional therapy is $75-150 per hour-long session. Most traditional therapy clients see their therapist once a week.
The most affordable Talkspace plan costs $32 a week and the highest value plan is much less than $150. Either way, Talkspace is more affordable and provides comparable value.
We have a popular blog post that explains these prices and why there is a big gap between them.
5. How does Talkspace keep my information secure?
We don't want to provide a map for hackers, so we can't say too much. Nonetheless, we can list some measures we use to keep information secure, safe and private:
- powerful encryption
- anomaly detection
- two-factor authentication
- security briefings and audits
We have a blog post that explains these measures in detail.
6. What are the benefits of using Talkspace versus a traditional face-to-face therapist?
- lower cost
- it's more convenient because there is no commute to an office
- if they only use the texting option, therapists and clients don't need to worry about scheduling a session, being late, cancelling, etc.
- clients who don't like to talk or want more options are not limited to verbal communication
- the option of being anonymous
We are not, however, trying to replace traditional therapy or claiming our platform is superior. It is different and works better for some people.
We have a blog post that further explores the pros and cons of traditional and online therapy.
We're so grateful to Talkspace for their support of our mission to end stigma through storytelling, and encourage you to check out their website to learn more.